Poll: would you like a forum optimized for mobile use or another downloadable forum app?
This poll is closed.
yes, i would like to have another downloadable forum app. 33.33% 2 33.33%
no, i prefer the optimimzed forum site so i can at least save a very little amount of memory. 16.67% 1 16.67%
yes, i would like an optimized for mobile forum site. 16.67% 1 16.67%
no, it's all good. none of the above suggestion matters. 33.33% 2 33.33%
Total 6 votes 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
forum optimized for mobile use or another app like other forums have.
09-14-2014, 06:30 PM (This post was last modified: 09-14-2014 06:31 PM by Seshomaru.)
RE: forum optimized for mobile use or another app like other forums have.
(09-14-2014 06:26 PM)Inuyasha Wrote:  Let's put it this way. Developing an app takes time.
Developing a mobile app takes lots of time, because the mobile platforms are really annoying.
Developing a mobile app that works on Android an iOS takes twice as long, because they are so different you can't reuse the code at all.
Developing a mobile app that actually doesn't abuse your phone's CPU and memory takes really a lot of time, because the mobile OSes really don't handle that well.

So all in all, making this work would take really a lot of time.

Wouldn't that time better be spent improving the game?

If we're to be honest, the game is already being improved at quite a good pace. It's at the stage where there are few things missing, and those can clearly wait.

A better way to access the forum is something good to focus on, since this could be seen as the heart of both games. It's somewhat reasonable to believe that with a good mobile layout, no matter how long it takes, there should be some more activity and users coming in.

Also, the owner has already displayed that he's perfectly capable of accomplishing such tasks, and not taking up too much time with it. As shown by his willingness to develop an for BEO2 for both an iOS and Android, as well as his somewhat frequent updates to the game
(s).

[Image: tumblr_md962k302i1rk2qtwo1_500.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Warn the author for this post
09-14-2014, 06:35 PM
RE: forum optimized for mobile use or another app like other forums have.
(09-14-2014 06:30 PM)Seshomaru Wrote:  If we're to be honest, the game is already being improved at quite a good pace. It's at the stage where there are few things missing, and those can clearly wait.
True, however this is not their only game (check the list here).

(09-14-2014 06:30 PM)Seshomaru Wrote:  A better way to access the forum is something good to focus on, since this could be seen as the heart of both games. It's somewhat reasonable to believe that with a good mobile layout, no matter how long it takes, there should be some more activity and users coming in.
A good mobile layout for the web version is good, and it's the option I voted, actually.
A mobile app can easily take 10 or 20 times as long as a web layout to develop.

Really, the advantage of an app over a good web layout is almost null, and the time it takes doesn't justify it, usually.

(09-14-2014 06:30 PM)Seshomaru Wrote:  Also, the owner has already displayed that he's perfectly capable of accomplishing such tasks, and not taking up too much time with it. As shown by his willingness to develop an for BEO2 for both an iOS and Android, as well as his somewhat regular updates.
Then I'd definitely prefer they spent their development time developing the mobile games, not the mobile forum
app!

All in all, I'd say that there's nothing that would justify an app that cannot be done with a good mobile layout for the website.
In fact, it would surprise me if there wasn't one already -- I might browse the myBB plugin/style repositories later if I get bored.
Find all posts by this user
Warn the author for this post